- Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead for “Fast 9”, the ninth “Fast & Furious” movie.
- The word “family” is pronounced seven times by six different characters in “F9”.
- Dom only says the word family once in the movie. He is the last to say it.
- Visit the Insider home page for more stories.
I take the “Fast & Furious” franchise very seriously.
Yes, I’m aware that the “Fast Saga” has become an over-the-top telenovela, bringing characters back from the dead and introducing long-lost siblings, but if you think the franchise is all about fast cars and cars. .. the best stunts, that you don’t understand what made this $ 6 billion franchise.
“Fast” reflects all types of families, doesn’t it? Brewster told me in April, talking about the franchise’s 20-year legacy, its diverse cast and the message it sends. “It’s not the conventional families that make up a family. It’s the love that binds them together and the sense of code and the sense of showing off for each other. It’s a really, really important message and it ‘that’s what is at the heart and the heart of every movie. “
The concept of family has become so integrated into the “Fast” franchise that the word itself has become more and more prevalent in sequels.
During a series frenzy a few years ago, I realized that the word was used so much that I had to start counting how many times it was said in the movies out of sheer curiosity.
Prior to the release of 2017’s “Fate of the Furious”, I took it upon myself to follow whenever the word was spoken not only in this movie, but throughout the franchise.
The eighth film in the series contains the most uses of the word family of any episode to date. It is said on the screen 14 times by a total of seven characters.
Obviously when “F9” came out, I had to continue my work.
I was surprised to learn three things. The word “family” isn’t spoken in “F9” until about an hour into the movie, Dom only says the word once (he’s the last one to say it), and the word is only spoken. seven times in total throughout the two-hour movie. This brings the total number of times this is said in the franchise to 51 (by my count).
Here’s every time I’ve heard someone say “family” in “F9” in the order that it occurs:
- Boyfriend (Michael Rooker) to Dom: “The worst thing you can do to a Toretto is take his family away from him. That’s what you did to Jakob.”
- Queenie (Helen Mirren) to Dom: “You are not the only one with a family full of eccentrics.”
- Queenie giving advice to Dom: “You know nothing is more powerful than love for family, but you turn it into anger and resentment? Nothing is more dangerous.”
- Otto (Thue Ersted Rasmussen) to Jakob (John Cena): “Your family is a train wreck.”
- She (Anna Sawai) discusses Han (Sung Kang): “We have become a family.”
- Jack Toretto (JD Pardo), while telling his sons Dom and Jakob that the ’70s Chargers are immortal and can live 100 years if you take good care of them.: “Like a family, Dom. You build it well, they will live beyond you.”
- Dom to Jakob in a flashback: “We have some tough times ahead of us, but it’s going to be fine, because we’re family.”
- Queenie talks about family the most in “F9” and gives mothering advice to, whom she calls her favorite American, when she notices he has a broken relationship with her brother. Queenie was the perfect person to point this out to Dom as she recently helped iron out a complicated relationship between two of her own children, Deckard and Hattie, who had also been separated for years, in 2019’s “Hobbs & Shaw”.
- It was really important that none of the major cast members other than Dom used the word family in this movie, even though you know they are all a collective family that would do anything for each other. others. The majority of the people who said family in “F9” were all new characters that we had never been introduced to before, like Jack and Elle. Their uses of the word specifically allowed us to learn how family is an integral part of their lives.
- Cipher, who said family most often in 2017’s “Fate of the Furious”, doesn’t say the word at all in “Fast 9”.
Does Jack Toretto’s use of the word family foreshadow Dominic Toretto’s death in the franchise?
The third time I saw “F9” I fine-tuned the flashback sequence that plays out as Dom’s life unfolds before his eyes. There we see Jack talking to his two sons about the inheritance of a man’s family. He tells Dom that if you take care of and start your family, your family will live far beyond you. He will become immortal.
As the main “Fast” saga heads into its final two films, I couldn’t help but wonder if this scene foreshadowed anything to come. Will Dom sacrifice his life in the latest Tony Stark movies in “Avengers: Endgame” to save the world and his family? Will Dom make a touching speech about how he’s never left because he’s in everyone’s hearts and the Toretto family is immortal and will continue with Jakob and his son, little Brian?
Certainly looks like this is where the “Fast” franchise could be heading now that we know the next movie. will be divided into “Fast 10: Part I” and “Part 2”. Even though Dom doesn’t really bite the dust, we’re ready for a cliffhanger at the end of part one.
You can follow all of our “F9” coverage here.