With Pride Month, we understand there’s a surge of merchandise full of rainbows, lots of PRIDE, and Nickelodeon GAK hands reminding you of bisexual wrestling.
Hi. Welcome to IKEA.
The Ikea pride collection is so incredibly cool ??? pic.twitter.com/yNfbcvrfjx
– fairy (@mayamona_) June 28, 2021
A few things before I legitimately try to make room for this adorable transgender cloud sofa in my office because it’s REALLY cute. First off, when I think of companies trying to get my pink, purple, and blue dollars, I expect multi-colored t-shirts and snacks (or white snacks if you’re Skittles). Never in my mind did I think that someone would launch an entire campaign of furniture designed around the colors of different queer flags.
According to the IKEA website, “Pride isn’t all about a rainbow. That’s why we created Love Seats, a collection of IKEA loveseats inspired by the Pride flags of different 2SLGBTQ + identities. Designed and created by artists active in the 2SLGBTQ + community, loveseats are a platform for celebrating identity and sharing love stories.
I think it’s good that IKEA worked with queer people to create these loveseats and that the website is sharing each other’s stories via text or video. That being said, I (and Twitter) couldn’t help but notice one design in particular.
I challenge you to think of something more fun that you could put on a bi-themed sofa that “nobody believes you” https://t.co/F5Q595Tsbu
– honest jabe (@jaynooch) June 29, 2021
everyone is talking about the way “nobody believes you” is written on the bi ikea sofa, but can we talk about the way it is covered in fucking hands ?????????? pic.twitter.com/dYgUAsJU8w
– sand (@sanditimtom) June 29, 2021
Dress up like the Bisexual PERSON BELIEVES YOU sofa for Halloween pic.twitter.com/oDsoO3uEJF
– Christian (@LivChristianLiv) June 29, 2021
My initial question upon seeing the couch was to ask myself why it was the only one that had a message written on it – and why it had to be the one talking directly to my “remember the and“Aesthetics like a bi disaster. Then again, if I were to make bisexual ‘over nose’ pillows I would make sure that you could only see the lettering in the dark as we are invisible to everyone in the daylight.
Don’t let me design things.
As for the hands, well, I said a silent prayer to my cats who would most certainly try to figure out how to lie down on the loveseat arms.
What are these hands made of?
Are they resistant to cat claws?
To be fair, the designer of the sofa has come to explain the meaning and is even aware that this is a “Don’t Dead Open Inside” moment because of the pillows. “Don’t Dead Open Inside” refers to sign campaigns that align words in a way that can easily be misinterpreted. Currently, we are in the SASA LELE era because of two sales signs lining up to read Sasa Lele.
Hi everyone, I would like to explain the love seat NOBODY BELIEVES YOU! The phrase “when you change” or “to” and “nobody believes you” is taken from a poem I wrote in high school about bisexual erasure that I experienced with an ex-partner and other.
– brian homo bozo (@braino_drano) June 29, 2021
Designer Brian Lanigan goes on to say, “I’m a poet of the word and the hands are meant to represent the reaction of the audience, especially those of other bisexual people who would approach me after the performances and share their story with me. . before including a link to the poem in question.
I’d like to think Brian would watch that video from 2015 and say, “Shit. It’s a full-fledged sofa now.
Honestly the whole collection is a range of “wow this is really cute I would buy this” at “this is one of those red carpet events where someone shows up in real flowers picked from hand, and they hired beekeepers to release a few bees to set the perfect mood. There’s really no in-between here.
I like it a little. I’m bisexual, so I might as well have some eye-catching furniture to accompany my inability to sit properly.
I have already shared my thoughts on the bisexual loveseat, it is only fair that I delve into the rest!
- 2SPIRIT FLAG LOVESEAT: actually I like this one a lot and I think the rainbow goes well with the black sofa. Feathers are a nice touch, but as a cat owner? This feature is meant to be destroyed.
- AEXUAL FLAG LOVESEAT: Another design that would be destroyed by my cats even though I really want to be able to sit and feel like I’m wearing a ruffle dress all the time.
- TRANSGENDER FLAG LOVESEAT (1): As someone who loves side chairs that have nice patterns, I feel like I would put this in a solid color piece so that it could stand out. The only downside is that it’s such a light color that I’m sure to spill something on it afterwards.
- LESBIAN FLAG CHAIR: I have a sudden urge to sherbert. Honestly, I really dig this one. Again, this speaks to my love of accent chairs. I would make room in my office somehow and change my purple walls to a more complementary color.
- PROGRESS FLAG CAUSE: No. Difficult pass. My cats? I have already turned it into a bed. These flowers are going to be eaten, picked, just… I know everyone is commenting on the bi couch but IT would be a nightmare in my house.
- PANSEXUAL FLAG CASHIER: There’s something in the fabric of this one. If you take a close look at the image on the website, it looks like it’s reattached? I can’t decide if I like it or not.
- TRANSGENDER FLAG CASHIER (2): This one. I want this one. I want a cloud covered loveseat that looks like a dream. Looks like it’s from the Hello Kitty Animal Crossing collection and I want it. Yes my cats will attack the clouds, I just… I mean… I WANT IT!
- NON-BINARY FLAG CAUSE: I know the straps are a design choice, but I still think I have to cut them like they just came out of the moving truck and the furniture is tied in place.
- GENDERFLUID FLAG LOVESEAT: It looks like an art museum piece and I like it a bit.
Good pride to all! I will try to tell my wife about a new fluffy blue, pink and white cloud sofa!
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comments policy that prohibits, but is not limited to, personal insults towards nobody, hate speech and trolling.—
One tip we should know? [email protected]