Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we take a look at the rumors from six months ago and see which have unfolded as originally stated. Let’s get straight to the point.
December 28, 2020
- For what it’s worth, Ryback recently claimed to have heard that “health is not great these days” from Vince McMahon.
- I don’t think it’s worth much.
- Fightful Select notes that Charlotte Flair was not originally scheduled to be involved in the Lana / Nia Jax / Shayna Baszler / Asuka script. The decision to change plans came just after Survivor Series.
- There was a legitimate injury to Lana that made a difference, I believe. But maybe that was the plan too. Charlotte is often inserted in stories where she has no place.
- WWE has registered a trademark for “The Hardy Bros,” which suggests that Jeff Hardy and Matt Riddle will be teaming up for some time.
- It wasn’t a real thing. Instead, it’s the very entertaining RK-Bro. I really don’t think Jeff and Matt would have worked as a team. They are too similar. Riddle works best with a straight guy to play with, in this case Randy. (0/1)
- WWE Network News says Bayley will be the next guest in Steve Austin’s Broken Skull sessions.
- She was the next guest. Austin is a huge Bayley fan. (1/1)
- Riho is done with Stardom now, the Observer says, as they wanted the talent to be exclusive and she is still on the go with AEW.
- That’s the word again. She hasn’t worked any Stardom matches since that – only AEW. (1/1)
December 29, 2020
- There is “no heat” on Pat McAfee, according to Wrestling Observer Radio’s Dave Meltzer. He thinks NXT doesn’t use McAfee because they don’t want to rely on him, “it’s better in smaller doses.”
- It would be the best way to use a talent like McAfee in NXT. Now he’s calling Smack down every week, which is another good human use.
- In the last Wrestling Observer Newsletter, it was reported that “WWE has now made overtures to some of the Impact’s top talent to find out when contracts expire.”
- This may or may not be true. No one has been to WWE since Impact that I can think of.
- According to Fightful, a number of Impact’s talent contract extensions signed in early 2019 were completed months ahead of their public announcement, so there could be more free agents than expected next month.
- I can’t think of many people who left the Impact ship for food. Ethan Page is the only name that comes to mind.
- WWE would delay a Bobby Lashley / Riddle United States title match until Rumble Royal, but Fightful Select claims the company has discussed doing so ahead of the January 31 pay-per-view.
- Random change.
- The Observer also says that while AEW has registered the name, “Elevation” is not the name they will use for their second show on TNT.
- This is the name of their second AEW Dark. (1/1)
December 30, 2020
- PW Insider says they were told WWE filmed material with wrestlers at Gross this week for a tribute to Jon Huber (aka Brodie Lee / Luke Harper).
- There were videos of various Raw & SmackDown talent remembering Jon – all posted on social media. (1/1)
- Fightful says WWE has a video package for him, but it’s unclear when exactly he will air.
- They never broadcast a real video package. (0/1)
- The most recent odds have favored Bianca Belair to win the women’s matches at the Royal Rumble. Big E is still the favorite to win the men’s match.
- It was Bianca and Edge. Big E would be a good choice to win this year. (1/2)
- Ringside News claims WWE has plans for “another crazy gimmicky match” between Randy Orton and Bray Wyatt at the Royal Rumble.
- They didn’t fight until WrestlingMania. (0/1)
- Nick Aldis told Konnan on his podcast that NWA had taken an option on his contract and that he would stay with the promotion.
- He is always with them.
December 31, 2020
- On the Dynamite after the show Tony Schiavone said that AEW is redesigning the TNT title and Darby Allin will be wearing the new look belt. The version given to Brodie Lee Jr. last night is hers for life. No one else will ever own this design.
- The new design is very similar.
- An update on the status of Riddle’s contract with Fightful Select’s WWE says he was not impressed with the company’s first offer, but after receiving revised terms, sources claim he has signed a multi-year agreement last week.
- They push him hard enough. He’s pretty much the star of Monday evening gross at present.
- Fightful’s Sean Ross Sapp tweeted that WWE and AEW “have both acquired photos and material featuring Jon Huber / Brodie Lee and his early career.” We saw some in the show’s closing video on Dynamite. They are believed to be used by WWE in the tribute for which they filmed material at Gross this week.
- No tribute videos were shown on WWE TV, which I found very disappointing. (0/1)
- Eve Torres will appear on Monday Gross for Legends Night, according to Wrestling Inc. Teddy Long told the site he thought he would be on the show.
- Looks like she wasn’t there. (0/1)
- WWE recently filed trademark claims on the names Nash Carter, Wes Lee, Shi Zui, Shi Gun and Tian Sha.
- Shi Zui and Shi Gun are not names that have appeared. Maybe there were possible names for Boa & Xia Li under the influence of Tian Sha? The other names are used.
January 1, 2021
- According to PW Insider, WWE was showing respect to AEW by letting them pay homage to Brodie Lee first.
- Maybe it was true. But they never really paid tribute outside of a brief graphic to open Raw & SmackDown.
- Wrestling Observer Radio’s Dave Meltzer said Chris Jericho wasn’t supposed to say Erick Rowan’s name in comments during Big Man surprise appearance on Dynamite because WWE owns this intellectual property. This is why Excalibur intervened with “Red beard! ”every time Jericho said“ Rowan ”.
- I remember Excalibur shouting “Redbeard” every time. Jericho didn’t get the hint though. It was an emotional moment, so I understand.
- Former WWE Referee Mike Chioda told AdFreeShows that even before the global pandemic, there was talk within WWE of reducing their home entertainment schedule to one weekend per month. Live events were much more profitable abroad than in the United States.
- I am curious to know what will come out of it.
- TalkSPORT has revealed that Ben Carter will make his NXT UK debut on January 7, 2021.
- It looks fair. (1/1)
- Tyson Kidd mentioned on The Dropkick Podcast that he was trying to convince Davey Boy Smith Jr. to return to WWE.
- This does not happen. At least not yet.
January 2, 2021
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter indicates that the tentative plan for Randy Orton and The Fiend is to have a Firefly Fun House match at Royal Rumble 2021.
- This does not happen. (0/1)
- The Observer also notes that Erick Rowan did not sign an AEW contract. His appearance on this week Dynamite was a unique agreement.
- Yes, it was only once. It was a very moving moment. (1/1)
- Fightful explains that at least half a dozen WWE artists have balked at the recent new contract offers. It is assumed that the dollar amounts of these contracts are lower than expected due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- It’s good that there are options, although AEW won’t be an option for everyone.
- According to the Observer, Stardom’s plans for their big show on March 3 at Budokan Hall included the arrival of Kairi Sane, but his attempts to get WWE approval for the appearance “came to naught.”
- They never did anything. Io Shirai however uploaded a video.
- Another Stardom piece of information mentions that AEW didn’t allow Riho to lose there during her recent job with the promotion, and that has to do with why she wasn’t involved in any key programs.
- This is what happens when you are beholden to two companies.
This week: 7/14 – 50%
December 2020: 27/53 – 51%
Total 2020: 410/717 – 57.2%
Total: 3,790 / 6,746 – 56.2%
Have a great week everyone! Take advantage of the 4.